Free School Meals
If you believe your child may be eligible for Free School Meals please click here to register.
Is my child eligible for free school meals?
If your child is in school on a full-time basis (including those in sixth-form or children at nursery for a full day) they may be entitled to free school meals. In order to be eligible, you need to receive one of the following qualifying benefits:
- Universal Credit (If you are working, there is an earning threshold of £7,400 per year. If your earnings fluctuate, we recommend you apply as you may be entitled during a period when your earnings are lower)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
In addition, the following pupils will be protected against losing their free school meals as follows
- From 1 April 2018, all existing free school meals claimants will continue to receive free school meals whilst Universal Credit is rolled out. This will apply even if the parent's earnings rise above the new threshold during that time.
- In addition, any child gaining eligibility for free school meals after 1 April 2018 will be protected against losing free school meals during the Universal Credit rollout period.
- Once Universal Credit is fully rolled out, any existing claimants that no longer meet the eligibility criteria at that point (because they are earning above the threshold or are no longer a recipient of Universal Credit) will continue to receive free school meals until the end of their current phase of education (i.e. primary or secondary).
The Universal Credit rollout is currently expected to complete in March 2023.
The table below indicates when transitional protection will end for
|School year 2017-18||Transitional protection ends|
|Nursery||End of Primary (year 6)|
|Reception||End of Primary (year 6)|
|Year 1||End of Primary (year 6)|
|Year 2||End of Secondary (year 11)|
|Year 3||End of Secondary (year 11)|
|Year 4||End of Secondary (year 11)|
|Year 5||End of Secondary (year 11)|
|Year 6||End of Secondary (year 11)|
|Year 7||End of Secondary (year 11)|
|Year 8||End of Secondary (year 11)|
|Year 9||End of Secondary (year 11)|
|Year 10||End of Secondary (year 11)|
|Year 11||End of Secondary (year 11)|